This program is intended for students who are interested in pursuing a career in health research. The Master's Degree in Health Services Research is a collaborative venture of Memorial University of Newfoundland, the University of New Brunswick, St. Mary's University, and the University of Prince Edward Island, and is coordinated through the Atlantic Research Training Centre (ARTC).
The degree program provides knowledge and skills necessary to tackle complex health policy issues and contribute to the future of health services in Atlantic Canada.
Students complete three compulsory courses and attend three themed workshops, three elective courses, and a thesis.
- AHS 6003 - Research & Evaluation Design and Methods
- AHS 6004 - Determinants of Health: Healthy Public Policy
- AHS 6008 - Advanced Qualitative Methods OR AHS 6009 - Advanced Quantitative Methods
- Three themed workshops (scheduled throughout the degree program)
- AHS 6001 - Canadian Health System
- AHS 6002 - Ethical Foundations of Applied Health Research
- AHS 6005 - Policy and Decision Making
- AHS 6007 - Knowledge Transfer and Research Uptake
- AHS 6110 - Directed Studies
- AHS 6120 - Work Integrated Learning
- AHS 6010 – Thesis
Candidates for admission to the Masters of Applied Health Services Research program must have demonstrated high academic standing and potential for self-directed, sustained research. Normally, the basic requirements are:
- a Bachelor’s degree of four years or a Bachelor’s with honours, or equivalent professional degree, from an approved university, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 or an average of 75% or higher in the last 20 courses;
- two references.
Please refer to the UPEI Academic Calendar for complete admissions information.
Students are expected to be proficient in the use of English, both written and oral, when they begin their studies at the University of Prince Edward Island. Please review the English Language Requirements for graduate programs.
UPEI has about 250 faculty—exceptional scholars, teachers, and mentors, with more being hired each year as we open new, progressive, and unique programs. But the story isn’t just in the numbers. It’s in the quality of our people. Award-winning faculty from around the globe have made UPEI home. Here, you’ll learn directly from these world-class professors and researchers in small classes where you’ll have easy access to them.
Master of Science - $8,430 per 2 year program
Master of Veterinary Science - $8,430 per 2 year program
Master of Applied Health Services Research - $13,116 per 2 year program
International students pay $7,320 per year in addition to full-time student tuition.
For a complete breakdown of part-time or full-time study as a student in the Faculty of Science, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
Scholarships and Awards
UPEI supports you and your educational goals. We administer millions of dollars in scholarships and awards to our undergraduate and graduate students every year. Depending on your faculty or program, and year of study, you may be eligible for available awards.
Search the complete list of scholarships for information and application forms.